Types Of Benefits And Compensation After An Injury
After a serious injury in New York, survivors often incur significant financial costs in addition to their physical injuries. Sometimes the responsible party or insurance company does the right thing and provides an adequate financial settlement to compensate survivors for those costs. Unfortunately, sometimes an injury lawsuit is needed to pursue the fullest possible compensation.
A personal injury claim can help accident survivors recover financial compensation for:
- Past, current and potential future medical benefits
- Lost wages from work as a result of injuries or medical and therapy visits
- Damaged property
- Household assistance when you were unable to meet normal responsibilities
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Resulting psychological distress or emotional anxiety such as depression or post-traumatic stress disorder
- Interference with family relationships
In fact, a personal injury lawsuit can pursue compensation for virtually any other costs that are directly related to injuries resulting from an accident caused by the negligence of one or more parties.
New York Injury Settlements
When injuries are less severe, many benefits can be obtained through insurance claims or by negotiating an out-of-court settlement with the opposing attorneys. In New York, injury settlement can differ greatly between these two options:
- Insurance claims: Insurance claims are generally most appropriate when injuries are relatively minor, and the expenses can be accurately assessed. In many cases, this is the quickest method for receiving benefits. But, it is important to retain an experienced personal injury attorney to ensure you collect full compensation — and to tell you when an insurance claim is not appropriate for your situation.
- Out-of-court settlements: The type and amount of compensation you receive through this type of injury settlement are based solely on the results of negotiations between your attorney and the attorneys representing the parties who caused the accident. Negotiations can occur prior to filing a lawsuit, or they can even occur at any point during a trial. While compensation can be received more quickly, very serious injuries and resulting disability often require a jury trial to obtain the fullest possible compensation.
Get The Compensation You Deserve. Call For A Free Consultation.
Our New York personal injury attorneys provide you with a free in-person initial consultation to begin the legal aspects of your recovery. From slips and falls to collisions with snowmobiles, we provide comprehensive legal help to restore your financial health. Our downtown Buffalo office looks forward to your call at 888-513-8122. You can also inquire through the online form on our Contact page. We look forward to fighting for you.